All guests at Wide Horizon are encouraged to become as actively engaged as possible in normal daily activities. Individuals in Horizon House are welcome to join any activity These residents may eat their meals in its community area or in the dining room of the main building. Guests in the main building may take their meals in the dining room with other residents or choose to have them served in their rooms. A variety of opportunities is provided each day to demonstrate a normal range of activity:
- Bible Lesson discussion group sessions.
- Christian Science Bible Lesson Sermon broadcast in the living room and over the in-room sound system.
- Sunday services and Wednesday evening testimony meetings broadcast from The Mother Church and First Church of Christ, Scientist, Denver, are piped into the living room and patients’ rooms.
- Thursday evening testimony meetings conducted by volunteer readers in the living room.
- Recordings of current Christian Science periodicals, lectures and other inspirational subjects broadcast into individual rooms.
- Transportation and assistance to church services and Christian Science lectures is sometimes possible.
- A library or reading room with a complete range of Christian Science books and literature, and computers with Concord and Found Volumes, (available 24 hours a day).
- Book reading groups conducted by volunteers on appropriate secular subjects.
- Educational and recreational presentations by volunteers (including travel shows, musical presentations, etc.).
- Nature walks and wheelchair rides onsite.
- Short trips to the mountains and nearby sights.
- Weekly movie.
- “Hair-Do Day” in the beauty salon.
As the result of a six-month planning process, the Board and staff at Wide Horizon have initiated the development of a whole new series of activities meant to inspire and uplift our guests on their road to renewal and recovery. These include more interactive activities such as Bible Study, crafts, walks, and learning opportunities. The list of daily activities above will be updated periodically as these new activities are developed and implemented. Right activity is sunshine to the soul!
“Mind is the source of all movement, and there is no inertia to retard or check its perpetual and harmonious action.” (Science and Health, p. 283)